God gave us a lovely surprise in the front corner of our lawn this year:
These rosebushes (there are at least two) put out nothing but stems and leaves for three Summers in a row. No blooms--not even any buds--nothing. Earlier this year, fed up with roses that don't bloom, we decided to rip them out, so Mom cut them way back...and then we never got around to actually digging them up.
|And they smell good, too!|
This Spring the canes put on a profusion of buds--every "arm" of these roses is loaded! At first I figured they'd be white with a pinkish blush, like the other roses along that fence. I must admit I rather hoped they'd be red instead, and they are--and what a beautiful, deep, velvety red, at that! They remind me of the ones Grandma Burcham (Mom's mom) planted at the old house. I tried to root some cuttings of them (and many of our other roses) before we moved, but sadly, there just wasn't room in the car for the pots. :-( But now it's like God has given us back Grandma Burcham's roses right here in Idaho! Awesome!
|"Eglantine"--washed, pressed and ready to wear|
I used the bodice and skirt of
We originally cut the bodice 1/2" longer than the pattern piece, just because I've had high-waisted things hit me too high in the past. However, when I sewed it to the skirt, we found the bodice to be too long! Amazing. So yay! An Empire pattern I can actually use as-is! PTL!
The skirt in this pattern is rather narrower than the drawing shows, and since I like my skirts with a bit of flare to them, we moved the pattern piece an inch or so back from the fold of the fabric. I think we added some flare to the sides, too. The result is a slim, A-line skirt that looks narrow but is actually pretty roomy. I made a master pattern from the fabric pieces after we'd gotten the fit right, so now I can begin cutting out some dresses with it! :-D
Until next time, Gentle Readers,
God bless, and Happy Summer!