By God’s grace, I can finally cross one thing off my New Year’s list: As of this afternoon, I finished my new mascot, Bearington!
I actually started knitting him in October, I think, but what with one thing and another (and some procrastination on my part *whistle*), it took a while to finish. For the curious, I used the Mister Bean’s Teddy pattern by Sarah Bradburry for the head and body, Debbie Bliss’ Teddy Bear pattern for the ears and legs…and just winged it for the arms. I also added a neck, as the head didn’t look right just sewn directly to the body.
Because I’m an incurable tweaker, I made some other modifications:
· I used US size 1 knitting needles instead of #3s to make the gauge as small as possible (I didn’t want him ending up too big)
· Because the head and body ended up bigger than I expected, I had to lengthen the legs to be more proportionate
· Instead of using felt and buttons for the facial features, I embroidered them with yarn. I also added the black paw-prints and “claws” on the paws and feet, to add character.
· I made the inner ears cream instead of brown like the pattern called for, and I used a buttonhole stitch along the edges to have a line of brown over the cream parts. It looked less stark that way.
He ended up a bit taller and skinnier than I imagined, and his paws are a bit more squared-off than I hoped, but all in all, he turned out really cute, and I’m so happy to have him done now!
On to the next project….
Say goodbye to the nice people, Bearington.
|Bye-bye! Come again soon!|
Until next time, Gentle Readers,