Sunday, July 18, 2021

The New Dream, Revisited

Rapunzel…you were my new dream.”

Holy cow, guys, remember this project? :-P


I’ve done a lot of soul-searching since the last time I posted on this subject. In that time, I’d pretty much decided to let go of the Rapunzel Costume idea, as I can’t afford proper materials, have no place to wear it (can’t afford tickets to Festivals and such), and my sewing skills just aren’t up to the challenge of corsetry and working with slippery satin and/or taffeta. And I wasn’t sure I’d really be comfortable togged out as a Disney Princess and possibly getting mobbed by squealing munchkins, anyhow. :-P

Anton Argentos:
So ja, yet another dream sacrificed to grim Reality…. *melodramatic tragic pose*

Isabella:
*Pinches nose-bridge*

Bramblerose Cottonwool:
Ooh, I’m gonna cry! *Sob*

~*~The Pixie~*~
There, there, dear. *PatPat*

Gilbert Sherwyn:
We pretty much knew it would happen.

However!
Sometimes, when I give up on a pet dream, the Lord turns around and gives it back to me. 
With a recent thrifting expedition, new inspiration has come. You might say the project has risen from the ashes, after a fashion.

Jason Windrider:
Did…did you just…?

Ember MacTavish:
Tehehe—*snort*

OK, yeah, bad pun. :-P


One of the local charity shops yielded this lovely poly "taffeta" party-frock, in what looks like the perfect sugarplum-purple for Rapunzel’s skirt and half-off, too!
Mind you, I generally don’t go for these dusty-lavender/mauvey colors (they tend to look drab and muddy, especially next to my other true-lavenders)…but this project is the exception. One of those “X-Y-Z” situations.*


The dress looks like it was originally strapless, and someone added these grape-purple straps later. Probably the color choice was to tie in the sash. Both are for the chop, as the color doesn’t blend with the main dress, IMHO.
Crummy interior shot :-P
Home-machine-stitching visible
at top of front bodice curve

 
My plan (Lord willing) is to take the skirt off the top and adjust the fit from there. Ideally, I’d love to get some self-colored (or slightly deeper) textured or printed fabric for a center panel, and a lighter, matching fabric for the new bodice.
 
And don’t worry; the old bodice won’t go to waste. I intent to try adn get a matching purse out of it!

I actually have my eye on some satin jacquard/brocade on Etsy at the mo’, which comes in both "Plum" and "Lavender" shades.
 
Looks paler than IRL,
but this stuff is hard to photograph
because SHINY

I also picked up "0.625 yard" (soa little over half a yard? UGH, decimals) of flannel-backed satin in "Orchid" color, courtesy of Jo-Ann’s remnant bins. Haven’t decided whether to line the bodice with it (Lord willing I get the brocade), or make a blouse to go under the same.
As you can see, it’s a bit "bluer" than the dress/skirt, but I think it has enough pink to blend all right.
This pic closest to satin’s actual color


The biggest decision now is how to make the bodice. The movie costume looks like a corset or pair of stays (similar to Redthreaded’s Regency Stays pattern, sorta), worn over a separate blouse. But I may opt for a simplified princess-seam bodice and throw some zip-ties in the seams. In that instance, the blouse would just be a peasant-blouse made from some pink gauze from The Stash, with the purple puff-sleeves being attached to the bodice.
 which wouldn’t be screen-accurate, but I think it’d be more attainable for my skill level.
 
So that’s the latest on this particular pet project. It’s on the backest of back burners (actually, I’m not sure it’s even on the stove), but at least I have some of the materials, and can work on it as I’m able.

Wish me luck!
Until next time, Gentle Readers,
God bless,
~R~

* “X-Y-Z” situation(s) = An instance when one departs from a preferential norm in favor of something one generally tends to dislike. Based on the statement, “I generally don’t like [X-Y-Z]…except when I do.”
~Tom’s Dictionary of Whacked-out Terms and Old Family Sayings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment—I LOVE comments!—so long as it is God-honoring, clean, kind and coherent. Anything obscene, profane, mean-spirited or unintelligible will be deleted. As webmistress, that's my right.

...But I trust I sha'n't have to use it. ;-)